Brothers in arms

sam and joel tomkins

Hola. Hope you are all well.

I’m not doing too bad. I’ve managed to escape any of the troubles that are happening in London town, although it has spread to near(ish) where I live but not enough for me to be worried. To be fair, I’m the kind of person who won’t get worried about the riots until they are happening outside our flat and even then I’ll be like, “It’ll pass” even as the flat is on fire.

I have been following a bit of what has being going on, mainly on 24 hr news channels. At one point one lady who lives in the Tottenham area said, “Things were looking up in the area, we’ve recently got an Asda in the area”. I feel like someone should have made this point earlier, because if we all knew they had an Asda in the area, we could have condemned these riots sooner, because everyone knows that a community that has an Asda, has no need to protest. (In the spirit of fairness, there are other supermarkets available).

Away from the riots and back to me and more specifically the 3 Prong Attack (the double act I belong to)  who had a gig last Thursday on a barge, that was a first for me. Not only was it on a barge it was also a variety night and we were the only act that did any speaking, the other acts were either singing or taking off their clothes (Burlesque, I believe it’s called in polite society). It’s hard to compete with people singing and taking off their clothes but our set was well received. And in an evening where young women were taking off their clothes it was me who got groped. It was the woman’s birthday so apparently that makes it ok.

We are back on stage this Thurs, 11th August, at the Camden Head pub, 2 Camden Walk, Islington, London N1 8DY, It’s FREE!!! Doors 7:30, Show starts 8ish. Nearest stations, Angel Tube st and Essex Road Rail Station. I’m hoping to avoid being molested.

Talking of radio (3 Prong Attack is me and my mate as hospital radio DJ’s), I read in the week that 91% of the country tune into radio every week. That still leaves 9% of the population who rarely or never listen to the radio. So I thought you the readers of this blog could get that figure of radio listeners up to 100%. So if you don’t listen to the radio or you know someone who doesn’t listen to the radio, start listening or get them to listen. Alternatively we will have to deport non-radio listeners from the country.

Onto my domestic life and ‘Her With One Permanent Job’ bought some weighing scales last week. I’m always saying to ‘HWOPJ’ and anyone else that will listen that weight is not the best way to measure a person’s health, the real test is how fit they are. Having said that, as we had the scales in the flat I weighed myself and found out I’m only 9 and a half stones. That I estimate is the lightest I’ve been since I was around 18. It would appear between Quorn, running and London living I’m slowly wasting away. I don’t know if it was a direct result of this but I did dust down the dumb bells over the weekend, the lightest ones but it’s a start.

I also upped my Northerness points over the weekend by watching some rugby league, St Helens vs Wigan. I used to be really into rugby league when I was growing up but not so much these days but ‘HWOPJ’ was out charity shopping on Sat, so being home alone I took advantage and watched 26 men bashing into each other. One of the things that I noted is that Wigan have two brothers playing for them  Sam and Joel Tomkins (see pic at top of the blog). What was quite striking is how different they look, not just facially but also in their physicality. I reckon Joel might have nicked some food of Sam’s plate when they were growing up.

And finally…. At last someone is going to jail over the recent phone hacking allegations, it’s Jonathan May-Bowles, who threw a foam pie towards Rupert Murdoch. He got a 6 week jail sentence. It’s nice to see justice being done,I’m sure all the victims of the phone hacking can now move on.

Til next week, stay safe!

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s